June 24, 2015

Attendees:

  • Scott Lundgren
  • Peter Maio
  • Twyla McDermott
  • Jim Van Fleet
  • Tom Warshauer

Subject

Notes

Portfolio Initiative

Projects for potential addition to “Parking Lot”:

  • Real Time Crime Data
    • Action item is for Twyla to invite representatives from the Police Department to next Executive Committee Meeting (7/31) to voice concerns.
  • Public Record Tracking System
    • Records Management is a larger project at the City.  Resources at City Hall are being directed to this.
    • RecordTrack – an application we did not look at.  Twyla will provide contact to Scott.  Scott will investigate.
  • Easy Business Startup
    • Gartner is engaged by City to look at land development.
    • OpenCounter would be a good fit, but is not open source.

Other Project Notes:

  • Code for Charlotte Laddr
    • Scott will write up draft task list and send to Riley Childs to determine what has been done.
    • The Code For Charlotte domain name is on the critical path .  Twyla will provide contact information for Randy Moulton, Chief Security Officer at the City of Charlotte to Jim.  Jim will follow up with Randy.
  • CfC Website
    • Volunteer Josh Barone compiled a list of content that is still required on the website.  Peter will follow up with Jill to identify potential content owners.

Spark Conference, National Day of Civic Hacking, June 6

Feedback on event is:

  • Event was well planned
  • There was a warm reception for the keynote from Jim
  • There were a lot of volunteer sign-ups
  • We will work closer with Spark in the future

Coordinating Customer Discovery

Randall Mardus joined on the phone.  The Committee welcomed his involvement and looks forward to in person meeting.

Citygram

Jim wants to consider a Ruby Hack Night for Citygram.  Scott indicated it might be hosted at Tech Talent South.

Jim reported that there is a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Montgomery County Maryland.

Twyla reported there are new datasets planned for CDOT closings.

Jim working to change un-subscription functionality to make it more user-friendly.

Open Budget

Budget was approved on 6/8/2015.  Data should be available.  Jim to follow up.

Insta-Deployable Apps

Scott reported that he reached out to Reid Sarcozi and is waiting on response.

An alternative might be OpenDataSoft (www.opendatasoft.com).  Jim will introduce Ian Henshaw, Managing partner at Technology Tank in Cary (https://www.linkedin.com/company/technology-tank-llc?trk=ppro_cprof ), for further discussion.

Context

The Committee’s position that we should drive notification apps to Citygram rather than deploy separate notification apps that may be available from CfA.  Scott agreed to investigate the Socrata module that would enable citizen input.

Impact3 / 501(c)(3)

Jim reported progress is being made.  Peter indicated that he would forward the red-lined version of By Laws that he previously provided to Jill that is based on Queen City Forward By Laws.

Jim is soliciting ideas for Board Members.  Tom indicated that the best way to engage City government membership would be as ex-officio members.

Other

Tom suggested a presentation to City Council that might include the following:

  • Accomplishments of CfC Brigade
  • Requests from the Brigade (e.g. Open Data from CATS)
  • Work the Brigade would like to do with the City

The Committee agreed it would be a good idea to queue this for the October Council meeting and will discuss further at next Committee meeting.

Twyla mentioned that CfA Award Nominations are due by July 13.  She will nominate Citygram and will work with Jim to prepare nomination.

July Meeting:  Friday, July 31, Noon – 1:30pm.  Keri secured space at CMGC – 801 Conf Room (The Triangle Building!).

Notes

You can view the new website work in progress at http://stagingcfc.rileychilds.net/ .

© 2018 Code For Charlotte