October 23, 2014

Attendees:

  • Jill Bjers
  • Peter Maio
  • Jim Van Fleet
  • Tom Warshauer

 

Subject

Notes

Review active project / initiative list

Priorities for upcoming Hack Night

For Hack Night 10/27, the Committee agreed to focus volunteer activities on the following:

  • Accela (visit from Accela’s Seth Axthelm)
  • Adopt-a-“Thing” (Chris Sunde)
  • Youth Portal (Paul Wheeler)
  • Digital Front Door (Jill Bjers)
  • Storytelling (Davida Jackson)

Jim will play the role of emcee for the meeting.

Briefly discussed the frequency of Hack Nights.  Agreed to discuss possibility of greater frequency at next Executive Committee Meeting – 11/18/2014.

Update from Code for America (CfA) Summit

Jim noted that there a number of “insta-deployable” apps available from Code for America.  One of more of these may be a good candidate for an upcoming Hack Night.  Jim will make a suggestion for a future Hack Night.

Jill confirmed that that Code for America (CfA) will be narrowing focus to a few key areas.  Jill agreed to review the project list for ideas that may align with CfA focus areas.  A focus on these ideas may engage some inactive Brigade members.  Jill will present at a future Executive Committee Meeting.

Volunteer Feedback

Peter mentioned that the “Adopt-a-Thing” project team was discussing whether Ruby was the best platform to be supported within the City IT department.  Jim agreed to spend some time with the team at Hack Night for some technical guidance.

Knight Cities Challenge

Check out the Knight Cities Challenge at: http://www.knightfoundation.org/blogs/knightblog/2014/10/1/knight-cities-challenge-opens-ideas/?mc_cid=ff802b8130&mc_eid=b467e59d62 .

The challenge runs through 5 p.m. Eastern Time, Nov. 14, 2014.

501(c)(3)

Jill and Jim discussed possibility of establishing a 501(c)(3) and provided a high-level overview of how the Chicago Brigade had accomplished this.  In essence, the 501(c)(3) is a formal organization that may have professional paid staff and provides sponsorship to the less formal volunteer organization – the Brigade.  It is possible that the Executive Committee might serve as the Board of the 501(c)(3).

Jill agreed to post presentation on Basecamp that provides more information on Chicago’s organizational structure.

All agreed further discussion on this is warranted.  Jill agreed to invite a guest speaker to the next Executive Committee meeting to set expectations on what is involved in the process.

Citygram

Jim shared that he has been asked to provide a sustainability plan for Citygram to Code for America.  Jim will provide update at next meeting.

Other

We agreed to defer the discussion of the Foreign Service Concept to a future meeting.

Jim and Jill agreed to provide list of venue requirements to Tom for upcoming events, e.g. City Camp.

Tom will secure the same space for the next Committee meeting – Tuesday, November 18, 6:00pm – 8:00pm.  Jill will send meeting invitation.

© 2018 Code For Charlotte